I thought congestion was a problem of my DAC, but it actually can be the hall !

Visualizzazione dei risultati da 1 a 3 su 3
    nibble L'avatar di EuroDriver

Predefinito I thought congestion was a problem of my DAC, but it actually can be the hall !

I was very fortunate to attend the recording of the Budapest Festival Orchestra in January

The full thread is here

Computer Audiophile - A Midsummer Night’s Dream - Compare Simultaneous DSD64 and DSD256 Session Recordings

The interesting discovery for me was the congestion I was sometimes hearing in my system which I thought was due to not good enough DAC and amp, is actually a sonic weakness of the hall and where the performers are sitting !

I was free to move from row to row during the rehearsal sessions and in some seating positions, certain sections of the orchestra sounded congested. The microphone placement is absolutely critical to keep this congestion under control.

The musical ability of the recording producer / engineer was a marvel to watch and made me feel very humble in the presence of such natural talents.

The Orchestra was top notch and the two soloists were enchanting with their voices.

Well worth the trip and a life experience I will never forget
    HQ Player 3.6.1.1 on various PC's > HQ Player NAA on WS 2012 + AO(MSM) on i7 3770 on DH61DL mobo > TOTALDAC D1 USB cable >
    Exasound E20 Mk III with 0.82 clock > Hypex NCore 400 > Inakustik LS1203 >
    B&W 805D. DSpeaker 8033 > Velodyne SPL 1200 Ultra
    GIK room treatment, diagonal speaker placement

Sonos Connect> Toslink > miniDSP Dirac DDRC-22D > Toslink > NAD D3020 > inAkustic zip cord > KEF LS50 + SVS SB-1000
    No room treatment, tiled floor, asymmetric room, unequal speaker distances to listening position

tebibyte
    configurazione

Predefinito

I've read the thread about this experience and I can tell you that you are a lucky man , Ivan Fischer is a top conductor and Budapest is a great orchestra, hungarians get a huge musical tradition so this was one of rare occasion to see how a great performance come in our home at the end.
    About the place of seat every venue get good places and bad places, but don't forget that recording was made in a empty hall, with people inside every thing could change. In a domestic venue a good balance of the sound of the whole system is mandatory, but I'm a fan of the "Source priority", in my experience the most important piece of every system, so: "garbage in/garbage out" is the first law for me.
    The best of a DSD record,in my opinion, is that it's near impossible to manage it in post-production, if you don't convert in PCM and reconvert in DSD at the end, so an orchestral recording seems more like a live recording. Enjoyable and enviable experience!

Moderatore L'avatar di bibo01
    configurazione

Predefinito

What a great musical experience you went through!
    Thanks for your report.
    It cannot happen to me where I am, unless one wants to listen to gamelam music then there is plenty

At the Budapest event recording it was attached a test between two different DSD A/D recorders - Grimm AD at DSD64 and Merging Horus at DSD256.
    It would be interesting for people to compare these two native recordings which it is possible to find for free here.
    At that address it was also uploaded a version of the Grimm track (as no.5) compensated by +0.35 dB to have the same output level between Grimm and Horus tracks.
    Ultima modifica di bibo01 : 19-04-2015 a 01:38

Informazioni Thread